Posts

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Rut 3:

Ping Pong

This film was intriguing. I believe that they had the token character of the bald guy (who was basically Smile), because we needed to see what was going to happen to Smile when he played against Peco. For example, Baldy was seen smiling for the first time when he played Peco. He also got to that happy place of table tennis. The problem may have been that it was too cheesy for American audiences (this film was submitted to film festivals in the US). Therefore, when Smile and Peco played, it was hardly shown at all, and less dramatic than the game between Peco and Baldy. I think that the director could have taken a risk and combined the Baldy and Smile into one character.

4 comments:

  1. I was also confused about Baldy or whatever his name was. I think I am remembering they called him demon or something. I didn't remember him being friends with them as kids and all the sudden he was an important character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't put that spin on baldy... It does make sense though. A deep thought for a deep move. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are talking about two different bald guys. There was the bald guy with glasses who was Demon and then there was the bald guy named Kazama who got to the happy place of table tennis.

    ReplyDelete