Posts

Monday, September 20, 2010

Rut #3-Laura Coalwell


I love foreign films.
I discovered the International Cinema my freshman year as I was walking through the JFSB and saw the poster.

Despite my love for all things international, I probably wouldn't have picked Ping Pong as my international movie of the week.

But I loved it.
It was HILARIOUS.
And sometimes I don't really get Asian humor.
But this was really funny.

I think it's interesting how after a few minutes of watching a movie in another language and having to read the subtitles, you barely notice that you're doing it. It becomes so natural and almost like you're hearing it in your own tongue.

I thought it was very interesting to see how ping pong, er.. table tennis, is actually really athletic. In America, it's like this passive pastime that people do when they are bored at parties. But in Japan, it is a full on, uniform requiring, sweat-band toting, tennis shoe donning sport.

I liked how even though this movie was very funny at parts, it also had a deeper message to it. It wasn't just a "stupid funny" movie. There was some substance to it. I thought the idea of the "hero" was interesting. I wasn't quite sure what they were getting at, except maybe that "heroes" are like angels who help you out when you're struggling.

I liked the balance that the characters Peco and Smile made. They seem like such polar opposites sometimes, but still good friends.

All in all. I liked Ping Pong. And I'm glad I went to see it. Even though I ended up sitting on the floor the whole time.





3 comments:

  1. I basically agree with everything you say. I even chose the same picture for my post haha :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heroes are like angels. Japan has heavy samurai/warrior traditions of honor, not Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a ping pong uniform for when I played. I would take it a lot more serious.

    ReplyDelete