Posts

Monday, September 20, 2010

Enter the hero! (McKenna)

First, let me say International Cinema has been one of my favorite programs on campus ever since I came to BYU.  I love going and seeing the absolute variety of the best movies from around the world.


Anyways, I loved Ping Pong.... like, a lot.  It was so enjoyable to watch!!!

I loved that it was based on a manga, which was totally apparent in the stylization.  (And totally explains Peco's crazy movements and facial expressions-- imagine him as a cartoon.)  The only US movie I can think of that does this cartoon-live action type thing is Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.  But American comics and Japanese comics are totally different, so the movies ended up having a totally different feel.  I think this movie gave a great look into the different popular culture and national interests of Japan.

I loved that in this often-comedic movie, the filmmakers explored the motivations that drive us.  I really appreciated the philosophical-action-comedy.  I feel like most American comedies are really shallow.  This was funny and made you think!  Woot.  I also liked both of the main characters, which made the ending really interesting.  Like the grandmother said, it really didn't matter who won.  They both had awesome journeys getting there.

Specifics I loved?
-When Peco really begins to play Dragon and he is literally flying as he hits the ball.  Awesome.
-The filmmakers use of visual analogy to convey emotion... as in Peco's symbolic rededication to his sport as he bathes in ping pong balls.
-The crazy grandmother.  'Nuff said.
-Every single ping pong match.  I loved the angles, the expressions, the tensions, the back stories, etc.
-"I can fly!"  "Enter the hero!"

6 comments:

  1. How did you even know about the international film cinema when you first came to BYU! This was the first time I heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. During Freshman Orientation, I somehow wound up at a special showing of The Color of Paradise and I was hooked :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah seriously. The grandmother was ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandmothers are always ridiculous

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you said about the comic style movie. Like Scott Pilgrim. Just awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha yeah I loved that shot of him swimming in ping pong balls!

    ReplyDelete