Posts

Monday, September 20, 2010

Rut #3- Kylie Cox

I loved Ping Pong. I am considering buying it. I might have really enjoyed it because it's pretty often that people say I remind them of an asian (not sure why), so I found myself really really enjoying the movie. The subtitles didn't bother me at all, except towards the end, because the chairs in the SWKT are not comfortable, so I kept getting distracted and moving around and missing the subtitles. But that didn't really matter. I don't think the movie was really based off of dialogue, but more about the entirety of the plot. I think you are supposed to identify with both Peco and Smile, since they are the polar extremes of both personalities. Peco is really outgoing and arrogant, and Smile is hard working, but very dispassionate. I think we all have both of those inside of us, and that makes for a more interesting film.
I am glad Peco won in the end, because I do believe that the person with the most passion for what they are doing should come out on top. I mean, after all, he did come back from like.. 7-20 or whatever in the first round, not to mention having a knee injury.
My favorite scene is with Peco, when he is covered in the Ping Pong balls, having a crisis. Very well done. Obviously, it is different than an American dramatic film- but nevertheless well done. It is surprisingly complex, and I bet that a lot of people, especially Americans, pan it off as nothing because it is a little bit different. I'm glad we had to watch it. After all, it was nominated for like seven Japanese Academy Awards.
Personally, I liked the swearing. Is that so wrong? I'm not sure.

8 comments:

  1. haha. I am considering buying it too!! I love it. good taste comes from those who are from Vegas. ;) -EliseM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it really nominated for 7 Japanese Academy Awards?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i liked the swearing too, send me to hell...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your comment of the different extremes. I didn't think of it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah I didn't even get a seat. It was so packed on Tuesday night that Abby and I sat on the floor.

    But it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have arranged an interview for you with your bishop. Wed @ 7:15. Be there

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha. I know a handful of BYU students that would enjoy the swearing.

    Anyway, I think that foreign films are great because we get to break out of the ol' Hollywood conventions. It's nice to witness the conventions of other cultures. I honestly think that the scene with Butterfly Joe and his wings was not a scene that the Japanese people would laugh at, though the theater erupted in laughter when I went to see it this weekend. I mean, think about it? Even though you laughed, was there any other emotion you felt in that scene?

    ReplyDelete
  8. remember how it took me twenty five minutes just to find you...

    ReplyDelete