Posts

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Rut #3

Ping Pong...

This was the most legit movie ever. When I fist figured out I was going to a movie entitled Ping Pong I didn't put 2 and 2 together; I figured the title Ping Pong was some kind of metaphor for a complex plot. I was overjoyed to discover that the movie was literally all about Ping Pong. My wife was also stoked because she's Japanese. She understood what was on the line that entire movie. She also explained to me how cool it is to be a star ping pong player in Japan. I think I must have won her heart by beating her at ping pong when we were dating.

I enjoyed watching a Japanese film. I didn't mind reading the subtitles at all. In fact at one point  I understood what they were saying without looking at the words (but I later found out that they were actually speaking English in some parts; I was so caught up I didn't notice). I liked how the movie incorporated Aname-esque parts. My favorite parts were the random flashes of children wearing masks, Peco jumping ten feet in the air to smash a shot, and the part where Peco and his opponent reached Nirvana while playing ping pong. American sports movies are always so serious. Incorporating a cartoon-like elements into an American sports movie would never fly.

5 comments:

  1. 1. I am proud of you for winning over your wife's heart with your ping pong skills. 2. I think that the best parts of the movie may very well be what you said. Nice. -EliseM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahhhh . . . I absolutely loved the anime moments . . . they were fabulous.

    You are a rock star for winning over your wife with your mad ping pong skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cartoon thing wouldn't fly in America.... unless the movie were Space Jam :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am i the only one who didn't drink the Ping Pong kool-aid?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "American sports movies are always so serious."

    Agreed.

    ReplyDelete