Posts

Monday, September 26, 2011

Rut 4 - Cristina Gonzales




I wanted to try Thai food long time ago, so this was the opportunity to do it. I went with a group of friends to Thai Evergreen in Orem, which is really close to Walmart (in case you want to go).
Funny story about this. None of us knew what those dishes looked like and the menu they gave us didn't have any pictures, so when I saw "curry" I thought that it was going to be kind of the curry that you buy at Teriyaki, but no. I tried the Massaman curry which is the last one in the picture, it looks like a soup... It wasn't bad at all, it was just different. In fact all of the dishes were good, but all were sweet (the waiter said most of Thai food is like that, sweet).

It was interesting trying to imagine how the dishes looked like before order them, and then see how they actually look. What I learned from this assignment was that most of the times we limit ourselves to judge things on how they look, and not on what they actually are. Probably if I would had looked at the picture first I've wouldn't order what I did. Also I think that we have to be open to possibilities and not locked in the same old routine, cause other wise we'll become boring and we don't want that right?

7 comments:

  1. That sounded like a good experience....I just realized that I pick food based off of what it looks like anytime I am at a restaurant. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had Thai food once and I too base a lot of what I eat off how it looks. Your dish at the bottom probably wouldn't have been something I would eat based off how it looked, but I'm glad you went for it, and it turned out good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The look of food does really help in my decision of what I'm choosing to eat, way to go into it blindly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my first thia food experience and not knowing what to do with everything once it came out

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks pretty good! except for maybe the last picture! you are so right though, pictures do it for me, I almost always order something off the menu that there is a pic of! Thai food is on the bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ALWAYS skip over the menu items that dont have pictures... they are the last ones i consider. it makes it a much funner experience when you have no idea what you may be getting other than the short description!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate to admit this but I am the worst picture buyer EVER! I seriously can't even read. I look at the menu and if it looks good I get it. If I have to read it, usually I go somewhere else. So bad. I've tried reading lately. Amazing thing that. Anyway, Massaman is alright as far as Thai curry is concerned but the BEST curry is green curry. Followed by yellow and red. Also, you should try Pad Thai and Pad King the next time you go :) You'll love them!

    ReplyDelete