Posts

Monday, September 26, 2011

gooyr 4-NEW FOOD-cassie maclennan

Ok so as you guys may have noticed in class, I am not an adventurous eater.
I am from Southern Alberta Canada and Chinese food is the extent to diversity of food.
So this weekend I gave my husband the choice of Thai, Indian or Sushi...
He is not the adventurous type either...our favorite resteraunt is Chili's...ok  not really but you get the point.

We found ourselves at Happy Sumo, 
some of you may say we took the easy way out picking the sushi, 
but let me assure you...we were definitely getting out of our rut!
I am NOT a fish person, but we went with some friends who are sushi connoisseurs and they assured 
me that it doesn't even taste like fish!
Ok they lied but I still did enjoy it!

We started out safe with a Baja role it was spicy tuna, cilantro, cucumber and this sauce,
I had to wrap my head around the sea weed but I did enjoy the fresh flavor and I ate like 3 whole pieces.
Our friends ordered the Wasatch Role and I really really did not want to eat it, it looked super fishy, but I was trying new things so I tried it, it had two kinds of fish in it, yellowtail and I can't remember the other one.  
I was not much of a fan, way spicy and super fishy, ok I did not like it at all!

My favorite was the Mango Mama Roll!
This was really good, cream cheese, mangoes, coconut and shrimp.
I reccomend this for a scared sushi eater.

Ok overall my experience was pretty good, I would even say I would go out for sushi again!
Side note-the green stuff is Not guacamole, a trick I wholeheartedly fell for--it is WASABI and it is the hottest thing I have ever eaten.

4 comments:

  1. This was my backup plan. I've never had "real" sushi. My dad got a pack of sushi from costco one time and I've had several people tell me that doesn't count. I wasn't a big fan of the sea weed but hearing you talk about it makes me want to try it fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, wasabi is definitely its own kind of spice. I remember I was a little wierded out by sushi at first, but it was pretty good. It was fun to read your experience-way to get out of your rut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i tried sushi for the first time a few months again and had the same feelings before i went. I am a fish person though, which made it a little easier i guess. I really did enjoy it and i know that going with someone who has been there before helps a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Sushi is really difficult to choke down for a first timer. I love tuna sushi but I"m with you on yellowtail. NASTY! and very fishy too! The mango ones sound amazing though! I really want to go to the Happy Sumo. Sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete