Posts

Monday, September 19, 2011

Get Out of Rut 3 - Dan Tygard

The Matter of Words exhibit was a good experience.  I went Friday evening and instead of just rushing through I really tried to soak it all in.  Consequently I think I appreciated the work much more.  One of the pieces that I thought was creative, I initially thought was kind of lame.  It was the piece that just had the black stuff on the ground.  The name of the piece is, Untitled (Void).  While I sat and studied it, I listened to some audio commentary from the artist which gave the piece more meaning for me.
  The artist explained that the black rubble is 600 lbs of alphabet pasta painted black made to look like type.  His ideas behind this were, what if someone shook a book and all the words fell out on the ground.  And what would it look like if words materialized from his thoughts and rained to the ground.  I think this artist and the others behind the exhibit focused on the medium of print and all the different ways to look at it.  I think that as they did this different ideas started to develop for their art.  

4 comments:

  1. That was one of my favorites too. I didn't get to listen to the artist commentary, so thanks for including that! It really is a cool idea for how to portray that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when i went i didnt call and listen to the artist's explanation of each piece... i wish i had--hearing what everyone was able to get (more) out of the exhibit makes me want to go back

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work man. That shows "ganas" that you wanted to get to the bottom of something in regards to understanding it better because you didin't like it at first. I could learn from that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that void piece was incredible. I didn't even realize it was part of the exhibit at first. My first reaction was, "oh, the art must be missing from this part of the exhibit." Then I saw the plaque, then I looked down, then I was amazed.

    ReplyDelete