Posts

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

FIND IT - Numero Uno

Searching the web for ads is probably one of the most enjoyable things to do EVER! I found many a funny ad but this one takes the cake. Introducing: Fat Barbie and Fat Superman (well, Superhero anyway).














The campaign was introduced by a Texas-based Hispanic shop called LatinWorks for an organization called Active Life Movement. I love the tagline: Keep Obesity Away From Your Child.
I love the ad because it juxtaposes two kid's toys which we mentally associate with perfect weight and body image and makes them as imperfect as possible. I heard from a friend if Barbie were a real person her upper body would literally fall off because her torso is proportionally too skinny. I thought it was creative because they appropriately brought an important message to a demographic which is difficult, due to laws and restrictions, to reach--children. Rather than show fat children or tell parents they feed their kids too much, they comically show Barbie and Superman fat. We get a chuckle and think, "Man, I don't want to look like that and I don't want my kids to look like that either." Voila! Mission accomplished. It's simple. Effective. Centered around a singular idea of image and encourages a healthier lifestyle for kids. I think it's brilliant!

6 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I agree that it really gets the message across. I think the fact that the toys are common really drives the message to it's audience. I really like this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that these ads are hilarious...and a good way to get the message across.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur, such a creative way to convey the message. Barbie and Superman were the perfect candidates for this since so many kids admire them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it too, because it's something that no one would think of initially. Definitely a creative and unique idea. It gets you to laugh right away, and then gets you thinking about it. Pretty funny stuff, and gets the point across.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noooo! Barbie fat, the ideal is shattered! Well i got the message...putting down the jar of nutella....mmm carrot sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its a different take on trying to get the message of child obesity out there. I think it was right on.

    ReplyDelete