Posts

Sunday, September 25, 2011

El Salvadorian Cuisine


So . . . ever since high school I have had this thing against Latin American culture. I am NOT racist in any way but I never liked Spanish and never wanted to go to Latin America as Europe, Asia, and exotic islands always sounded more appealing. I am proud to say, I am partially a changed man. You see, a friend told me to try a Peruvian restaurant that was on Center Street in Orem but when I got there I saw an El Salvadorian restaurant almost immediately next door. I opened both doors to smell the food aromas wafting out of each and decided on the El Salvadorian one. IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! I brought two friends so we could order about everything on the menu and am happy to tell you every dish was a success. We had Papusas with pork and cheese. The vegetables they seasoned to put in them and the sauces provided were succulent. I tried plantains with sour cream and beans. I honestly thought they looked disgusting but after the first bite I basically snarfed them all. My friends barely got to taste them ;) I got a steak and veggie plate that came with rice, beans, and two corn tortillas. I basically died and went to heaven. And last but not least, we had Pastelitos (?) I think that was what they were called. They were basically corn empanadas with meat and cheese on the inside. I seriously ate like a pig. Please don't judge, it was not my proudest moment but OH MY GOSH was it delicious. I now want to make a trip into the South to try this food from the original vendors. I imagine this was pretty legit but El Salvadorian food in El Salvador is bound to be even better! I'm going to need to learn some Spanish! Me encanto la comida!


3 comments:

  1. I even feel proud of you after reading this post! lol I love pupusas, we don't have those in my country, and they are delicious! and so cheap too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to Go!! When I went to El Salvador this summer we had pupusas for dinner almost every night and fried plantains with beans and eggs every morning...I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good, I'm going to have to check that place out. I started eating Salvadorian food about a couple years ago in California when a place opened up near my house.

    ReplyDelete