Posts

Monday, September 19, 2011

Anit-Rut # 3 - James Taylor

What struck you as “creative”?

I found the exhibit to be very interesting. I didn't know what it was about until I got there. Once I found out that it had to do with books, I was interested to see what I would find. Of course, I feel all of the art took some creativity, but two major pieces of art were most pleasing to me. Hopefully, you can forgive me for not knowing the real names of the work! One piece was with the pasta letters and the other was the text on the wall.

What made the pieces creative?

Both had a certain element that I thought made them creative. We've talked in class about combining old elements to make them new. The pasta letters, at first, look like a carpet. Once you read the sign or take a closer look you realize what really makes it up. The same element exists with the blocks on the wall that are really made out of text. He took a form of minimalist art and combined it with his use of words. It really was an impressive combination since you had to get close to really see what it was made of.

How do you think the authors came up with these ideas?

Like I said above, combining old elements to make something new. I feel like the artists wanted to portray letters/words in a new way that made us not see them as they really are, but as more of a combined object. It probably took some time to come up with the idea of spreading pasta letters all over the floor. I think they had their goal of what they wanted the piece to communicate in mind, and then they brainstormed ways to get that across.

I personally always have a hard time with art that is "abstract." But for the most part I really enjoyed looking at this exhibit. It was a good exercise for getting out of my rut. In many ways it reminds me of the idea of seeing text as an object in graphic design more than the letters they are.

5 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed the text on the wall...I feel like had I not been paying attention I would have dismissed it as a bunch of gray squares. I really like the words can literally create images depending on how we place them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Abstract" art is something I have come to enjoy, trying to decipher what the artist was trying to convey or communicate. One that I really enjoyed in this particular exhibit was the one with all of the many gift tags lined up. I have used those same tags when giving/receiving gifts so with all of them blank it made me reflect on what I have written on similar tags/what has been written on the ones I have received. Brought back some good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insightful! I think also, this assignment did what is was supposed to and we got out of our rut! Words. Words. Words. They make or break us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think both of these pieces required me to stop, look, and study before I really got it. I liked the visual and mental challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't even remember the pasta letters. And now that you mention it, I wish I could know what you're talking about. Sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete