Posts

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Rut 1- Museum of Mormon Mexican History

Friday afternoon I had the privilege of experiencing a guided tour through the Museum of Mormon Mexican History.  Its a small museum, the kind you pass without noticing when you're driving, but notice when you're walking or biking.  Anyway I noticed it about a month ago and every time I pass it I find myself asking if its even still open to the public, because there are generally no cars in front of the building that it occupies.  Its located on North Canyon road, across the street from BYU's track.  My wife and I went together and Sergio, from Mexico City, gave us a tour around the museum.  It was an interesting experience for all of us, because Sergio doesn't speak English, and we only know a few words in Spanish.  There was definitely a language barrier, but we all gave it our best effort to understand one another.  From what I gathered on the tour we saw the first latter day saint in Mexico, three individuals that were key in translating the Book of Mormon into Spanish, a photograph of the first branch in Mexico and other interesting things related to Mexico and church history.  This museum is the second of two, the other is located in Mexico City.  Sergio, who is just visiting is the director of the Mexico City location.  All in all it was a good, culturally enriching experience.  I gained more appreciation for this type of history and even more of an appreciation for those like Sergio that work hard to preserve it.  - Dan Tygard

3 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this museum. I think that it would be awesome to check it out. Being from Texas and of Central American Heritage it would be a good experience to see how Mormonism spread to our neighboring country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sweet man. I should maybe go check it out sometime. My Grandpa is actually from Mexico, and he and my Grandma both helped translate the King James version of the Bible in Spanish. Kinda cool eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't know it existed either. Sounds like it would be a good experience. Thanks for sharing so we can check it out!

    ReplyDelete