Posts

Monday, September 26, 2011

Get out of Rut- Food, Dan Tygard

  I've never had Indian food, and it normally wouldn't be a place that I'd consider going to.  My wife and I went to the Bombay House on Univ. Ave after many strong suggestions.  We walked in and we greeted kindly, I tossed a couple of jokes there way letting them know that we have never had Indian food.  The guy taking us to our table joked back by say, "how have you lasted this long without eating good food."  After that I knew we were in good hands and in for a good experience.  Our server came out and took our order.  I told him that I had some recommendations from some friends and he knew exactly what I was going to order.  We order the samosa appetizer, the garlic nan bread, the chicken tic masala that came with rice, and a mango lassie drink.  The waiter also brought out a strawberry lassie drink on the house for us to try.  The food came out fast, and we dove in.  The flavor combo was out of control.  My taste buds were freaking out trying to figure out what I was doing to them. 
   We didn't finish all the food, but we did take to go for left overs which is now gone.  The experience for us was more than just food.  It was definitely a cultural experience which is a cool surprise that we can still get that here in Provo.  We felt like to some degree that we got a good flavor of what India is like.  They had Indian music playing, the artwork and design of the restaurant looked authentic, and every employee looked to be Indian.  As we biked away my wife and I talked about how we are such creatures of habit.  We stick to what we know and what it comfortable for us.  It was a good wake up call for me that there are other ways to get a good meal out there, and also just different ways to look at life. 

6 comments:

  1. The experience is definitely is more than just food, the culture part of it makes it that much better. Our server was super friendly just like yours and Kohinoor had some sweet Indian music and artwork as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of creatures of habit, the next challenge should be going to a place you regularly eat and ordering something different, i think that is just as hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanted to try this place, sushi won out for this assignment, but you have inspired me to get out of my rut once more and try indian food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to Bombay House but I love going to ethnic restaurants for the same reason you were talking about. It makes you feel like you're getting out of Provo a little bit and experiencing other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with us being "creatures of habit" and it really is a shame considering all the things that we miss out on because we get "stuck in a rut". I also agree with what Kirstin said... but i think that is just what we are supposed to do from now on, not have it assigned to us

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! I'm so happy you went! Seriously the best place around. You ordered the best stuff on the menu. The only thing that would have made it truly Indian is if it was served on a banana leaf and you ate it with your fingers. Did you know there is a proper way to eat with your fingers. Yep. We'll have to go sometime and I'll teach you and your wife the ropes!

    ReplyDelete