Posts

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Do something new - David Miller


My motivation for going mountain biking was twofold. First, I own a mountain bike which ironically has never been used on a mountain. I basically use it just to get to and from work. Second, I'll get to write a sweet review about it on a website me and some coworkers put together thingstodoprovo.com. So mountain biking seemed like a perfect fit when I heard what the assignment was.

It was a little intimidating at first because I've never been mountain biking and know very little about it, I wasn't sure my bike could actually handle it, and I was by myself. It wasn't too smart, I know, but it turns out none of my close friends actually own a bike. I started thinking about Professor Cutri's can't-end-up-putting-you-in-the-hospital rule after I w had already started and it was too late.

The whole experience so worth it though. I went on the Bonneville Shoreline trail. I heard it was pretty good for beginners and it must be true because I'm still alive. The trail runs across the foothills so there is the perfect amount of up and down. I understand why people love mountain biking so much now. Every time I went uphill the endorphins started pumping and every time I went on a downhill the adrenaline kicked in. It was a real thrill ride.

So I'm glad I did it. Mountain Biking is amazing! I found myself a new hobby. By the way, is anyone out there a regular biker? I feel like I could use some pointers if I'm going to start doing this regularly.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you finally got to go mountain biking! Can I tell you, I've always wanted to go here in Provo because I have a mountain bike too but, like you, I've only used it for transportation and never for recreation. Lame. I think we should collaborate and do a biking trip sometime. I'd love to see Provo from a new perspective and do some biking. I used to be an avid biker in Idaho while I was still in high school but I'm "too busy" now. Got to get out of my rut. Good work on your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kinda jealous that you went mountain biking.I have never been but I think it would be an exhilarating experience. Way to do something kind of dangerous...I think that it is hard to start something like that up but it sounds like it was very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gone mountain biking once, and didn't really like it. But, that perception got tweaked when I started running more. I've been wanting to maybe do a triathlon at some point in my life, and in order to do that, I'd need to get more into biking and swimming.

    So, maybe I will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its good to hear that your mountain bike got some mountain action, and you did too! I just got home from riding Archie"s Loop up at Sundance. If you and your bike find yourself wanting more I highly suggest the pedal up there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in the market for a mountain bike to get myself into the adrenaline rush that you had! It is one of those hobbies I want to start but keep putting off

    ReplyDelete