Posts

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Word Art

I have loved oil painting since I was in high school so originally I was going to do a little oil painting.  Then I realized that the whole point of this assignment was to get out my rut so I decided to choose a medium that I normally wouldn't pick.  The end result was a pen and ink drawing with a acrylic background on a gessoed piece of cardboard.  Did I like the change from my regular medium?  Yes.  Did I like it more than oil painting?  Definitely not.  The pen and ink was really fun to work with as well as the gesso and cardboard.  The cardboard wasn't neat and perfect which I liked because I feel like it added character to the piece.  I do wish that I hadn't done the blue acrylic background.  Painting the blue I instantly remembered that I really don't like acrylic plus I think the blue detracts from the message of the piece.



The subject I chose to draw was the profile of a girl.  Instead of drawing her face I wrote a bunch of quotes.  With this piece I was trying to say that our words and thoughts make up who we are.

Overall I really loved this assignment.  I liked the opportunity to create a piece of art with out worrying if it met up with strategy and the restrictions that we often feel as advertisers.

   

5 comments:

  1. I really love the concept. The way you chose to execute it allows it to be packed full of meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's obvious that you've taken quite a few classes in the HFAC. I'm talking a drawing class there right now. This is very intriguing. What made you choose the quotes you did?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is rad! I agree with Greg, I didn't read the words, but I'm sure they were meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool, Katie. I like how you really explained the process that you went through. It made me feel like I was right there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should do one entirely of words. Don't draw outlines, create them with words. Shadows are just bolder, closer together words. I did one like that in 9th grade and gave it to my dad. It still hangs in his office and people have asked him if they can get prints of it.

    ReplyDelete