Posts

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Jimmy Johns - Lance McDowell

I decided to go to Jimmy Johns with my wife. When I'm in the mood for a sub I normally go to Subway or occasionally Firehouse Subs. But I had never been to Jimmy Johns so I wanted to try it out, especially because the menu prices weren't unreasonable.

We got there and I saw lots of sandwiches that looked good. But I decided to order something I've never ordered at any sub place. I got a tuna sub. I'm actually a really big tuna fan but I don't really get it when I go out because I feel like it's something I could easily make at home. You could also order a giant pickle for 99 cents so I did for the heck of it. I think I might have enjoyed the pickle more than the sandwich.

I learned that "gourmet" tuna is actually decent and not the worse thing you could order. My wife got a BLT which I thought sounded really good. But I ended up finishing her sandwich for her and I actually think my tuna sub tasted better. That was surprising. I also learned that trying new things at restaurants isn't always a terrible experience. I actually frequently try new things at restaurants hoping that I'll discover something amazing...and I'm usually disappointed. I get really angry because I just spent money on something that doesn't even taste good. But I also know it's worth it to try something new because every once in awhile you are pleasantly surprised. I was pleasantly surprised by my tuna, although I don't know if I would get it again.

What does this say about me?
I think I'm adventurous. I also get bored easily with my menu favorites. I always think that just maybe I can find something I like better. So I guess I'm not satisfied very easily. I'm always searching for something better. Even now, I look at my response above and realize I said I might order the tuna sub again. I think I also tend to want to order something I couldn't make very easily at home. If I'm going to buy something to eat I want to go all out. Maybe that's why I bought the pickle too. It was a way to spice up an order I thought was going to be "boring".

I don't know if this experience changed me. Maybe I won't stick up my nose at "normal" things at restaurants. Maybe they're normal because lots of people like it and it actually tastes really good. I could be missing out. Now I'm trying to remember if I've ever ordered a plain cheeseburger at McDonald's. I always want to have more, like bacon or avocado. Hmm.


1 comment:

  1. Friday night I was going to get a sub from Ernie's in Orem, but they ran out of bread??? I don't know, seems like that is the one key menu item a SANDWICH shop would try and be stocked on. So, as a result, I was forced to get my sub from Jimmy Johns. You sound just as disappointed with your meal as I was.

    ReplyDelete