Posts

Monday, February 3, 2014

Brad Hill - Food

Ok, so finding something that I've never had before was a bit of a challenge because I feel like I've tried lots of different foods and am willing to experiment on anything. I was also on the road all weekend for work and didn't have much time to get out and try a new menu item. Fortunately, we stopped in a small town in Idaho for lunch. Our options were scarce; McDonald's, Subway, Burger King, and a local burger shop called Big J's Burgers. People gave their input for certain places, but I wanted to go to Big J's because it would be a new place that I've never tried before. It was awesome. Often times I am perfectly fine going to a familiar food chain because it is easy and I know what to expect. Going to a new place in a unfamiliar town was refreshing because I had to open my eyes more and try to take everything in that was in the restaurant. I noticed the colors and decorations more, I took more time reading the menu too. One realization that I had is that most of my usual foods at places come from a reference of a friend and I fall into the familiar items for ease. Reading the menu was interesting because I could see all the things available and I read the details too to see what really sounded good. I went with the "Big J" burger and it was very good. Although I've had hamburgers before, it is always great to see how each one is different and I was able to become more creative by thinking of how to describe the burger and finding its unique characteristics over other things I was familiar with. My mind made connections to other foods that I've had before to try and describe what I was eating. I learned that anywhere can have good food and it's always great to get out of the normal and try new things. This experience wasn't a big "life changer" for me because I love food and am always ready to try something new and often times don't get the same thing twice. I will try to be a bit more aware of menus at familiar places to see what else is delicious and why other people enjoy going to restaurants for  certain foods.

4 comments:

  1. You were brave. I'm not sure that I would trust a place in Idaho called big J's but I'm glad that you had a good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little random restaurants like that almost always incredible. I'll have to remember to stop by Big J's if I am ever passing through Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you liked your small burger experience, you need to go to XXX in Seattle, best burgers on the planet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The small restaurants often are the best. Even though they're often slower and more expensive than normal fast food joints, I always find that the quality of food is pretty dang good!

    ReplyDelete