Posts

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Rut Assignment 7: Kirsten Hansen

For the 7th rut assignment I found myself in New York City instead of Provo, so I completed the rut on a subway instead of the UTA.
My experience on the subway was...interesting. I decided to really observe what was going on when I rode the subway back from 116th to 72nd late at night alone. I tried to create stories for each individual that I saw. It was around midnight, so there really weren't that many people on the subway. At night everyone is definitely a lot more relaxed than they are during 5:00 in the evening too.
I wasn't even nervous to ride because I was actually observing people instead of judging them based off of the fact they had a huge bag that could have a bomb or that they smell bad. (Terrible judgments, I know. But on public transit it happens)
I think the main thing I learned about observing people on the subway was that everyone has some place their going, someway they have to accomplish that and we all ride the same train. Some people are homeless on the subway and others have millions of dollars, but we all share the same ride and can still relate to each other.

7 comments:

  1. People watching! My favourite activity! I used to ride the bus 40 minutes each way for my high school across the city and late at night it's fun to really observe people and their actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I served my mission in Mexico City, where public transportation is a much bigger deal than here in Utah. The metro was really cheap and fast, so everyone from all walks of life got on it. I think it's awesome that you got out of your rut by taking a New York subway...I may be a bit jealous, actually. I've always wanted to go on the subway...which is probably a weird thing to have on my bucket list, but there it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jealous that you were in NY! I bet you had the coolest experience of all. Interesting to point out that all types of people take the subway in big cities. Rich and poor, it's the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am very jealous that you were in NYC! Such a fun place. I too love thinking about where everyone is going. It just blows my mind that everyone is going somewhere different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you tried to come up with stories for the people you saw. I too, just like everyone else, am jealous that you got to do this in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice observations... I love people watching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think in big cities everyone, rich or poor, rides the subway. But for some reason I don't think it works that way in Provo. I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete