Posts

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Four Seasons Hot Pot & Dumplings - Allie Sullivan

My roommate went on a study abroad to China recently and has fallen in love with everything Chinese. When I told her about this assignment, she said she'd been wanting to try a little Hot Pot place in downtown Provo. I love asian food but I'd never heard of a hot pot before so we decided to go.

I wish I had taken pictures but I didn't even think about it until after. How it worked was they put a big pot with our chosen soup base (Miso soup) in the center of the table and then we could go and choose whatever we wanted from a bar of raw food items. We sampled a bit of everything. And then a very nice Chinese gentleman helped us cook it in the pot, telling us how long each different thing needed to cook for.

Probably the most adventurous thing that I tried was seaweed. It didn't taste bad but I couldn't get past the fact that I was eating seaweed... We also had shrimp that still had the shell and legs on them so that was a new experience for me also, learning how to pull all that stuff off. We tried several different types of noodles. Potato noodles, flour noodles and rice noodles. I really liked all of them.

When we went up to pay they gave us each some Chinese candy. The one I enjoyed the best was called a White Rabbit.


What did you learn from this experience?

I guess I learned that you can push your boundaries without breaking them. It was hard for me to decide where I wanted to go and what I wanted to try. I looked into some Peruvian and Indian places but they just did not sound good at all. I felt like with this place, I found a good balance between staying true to my tastes but still giving myself a push outside of what I normally eat.

What does this say about me?

I'm not particularly open to new things. I kind of have to take baby steps toward things that are new to me. Also, I'm not willing to take risks. I really didn't want to go out and spend money on something I could potentially hate. So I went with something that was new that I felt like I had a good chance of liking.

Have I changed in any way?

I really enjoyed this experience and it makes me want to see what else is out there. This place was just down the street from where I live and I never knew about it. I am a creature of habit, but this experience makes me want to go out and find some new habits.


3 comments:

  1. Ah good point with the Money Issue! I think a lot of us feel that way seeing as we are all starving our way through college...not really. We like to spend money when it's really going to count, and trying new food is such a gamble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a very unique restaurant experience, essentially making your own soup? I dunno, that's how I understood it. But it sounds like a really fun dining experience to go with Chinese food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seaweed huh? What did it taste like? I imagine it tasting something like slimy spinach or lettuce.

    ReplyDelete