Posts

Monday, February 17, 2014

Red-Haired Monkey with a Purple Face- Aaron Johnson

I spent my weekend playing with watercolors, which I think is a very relaxing medium. It's the least angry way to paint, in my limited experience. I started a few projects as I tried to find a comfortable subject for my final painting. I also did a few paintings just because it was fun and very relaxing, it just clears to mind to concentrate so hard on simple shapes and colors.

The painting I completed all the way through was 'Red-Haired Monkey with a Purple Face". The way I developed this subject was I began trying to paint a still life of grapes so I could practice shading on circles, but then I realized my grapes were too far apart and not very 'grape'-y. So I turned in into a face instead, and the monkey just grew out of it. I'm very proud of my new, little friend.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you turned a failed project into something new! That's the best part of art, I think. You can have an idea of what you want and then it turns out to be something totally different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was great that you just went with the flow and let your painting take you where it needed to go. You did an excellent job shading with such a difficult medium as watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this was my favorite piece I saw. It is fun and playful and I wouldn't have known that you had a different vision when you started. Regardless of its start, I think the final piece is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete