Posts

Monday, February 3, 2014

New Food - Greg Taylor

This weekend I followed my heart (and Brother Cutri's recommendation) to the Mexican restaurant next to Laser Assult. Kinda sad I didn't catch the name of the place but when you don't understand the name it seems more difficult to remember it. The menu offered a lot of new options I could have enjoyed. The lucky winner was Sopas! It has a thick flower tortilla base with a choice of meat. It's then smothered with lettuce and cheese, similar to most Mexican food! I learned while ordering, how similar most Mexican dishes are. I was asking the cashier the difference between two menu items when he explained it's pretty much the same one's just bigger. This answer doesn't say much about myself on first thought. However, it might show my ability to organize and understand things. I like to understand how things fit together and their relationships. Upon this realization I found the simplicity of food. Cooking or preparing food seems to be much more simple when you think about the staple foods mixed together to create a dish. With Mexican food it's meat, tortilla, cheese, lettuce, beans and salsa. There are probably over 100 dishes to be made with these simple staples. 

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your analysis of Mexican food. I mean, I LOVE Mexican food, but I don't know why. I spent a week in Tijuana over Winter Break, and a group of nuns fed us a different meal (technically) every day, but while the packaging changed it was really just a different way to present meat and beans day in a day out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge fan of Mexican food, (I don't like spicy) but this sounds so good! It's interesting how just recombining essentially the same things creates something new. I might have to go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that place is really good! I'll have to go check it out this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should have had the tacos al pastor... if it's the same place I think it is... they are dang good! (I served in Mexico City, and it was the closest thing I could find to legitimate Mexican food)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so so so good. I think it's interesting how you mentioned there can be so many combinations of those staples. We may have tried one version of it but there are so many more to try.

    ReplyDelete