Posts

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

pomegranate


This was a really fun experience for me. I have loved and appreciated art for as long as I can remember. I have always, however, taken a somewhat non-traditional approach to art, especially painting, so this rut assignment really spoke to me. I began by choosing my canvas. Originally, I had wanted to paint on glass, but sadly I did not have any that would work. As I was walking out of my apartment to bring the trash out, I spotted a really cool Jonathan Adler box. I loved the sturdiness of the box. So, I took it. (yes, I went dumpster diving to find my canvas). After painting it white to cover up the logo, I began to paint my subject. I have recently had a fascination with the whole concept of natural and organic. I thought that the fact that I re-cycled the canvas would really complement a natural subject matter. I chose a pomegranate specifically because I have always thought they are one of the most beautiful fruits. To paint this piece, I used a mixture of acrylic and water color. I wanted it to have a really raw and somewhat unfinished look to it because I thought that would enhance the idea of nature/natural that I was going for. 


2 comments:

  1. very pretty, I like that you painted it on top of a white coat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great. I like when people actually spend time on their projects instead of getting them done in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete