Posts

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Painting Enhancement -- Brad Hill

I've never really sat down and painted any sort of art before (aside from elementary school) so this was a fun experience for me. It was fun to sit down with a few tools and create something new. I liked the change of pace form Adobe products and digital design. What i decided to do for my subject was pick up a painting from DI and adding my own flares to it. I've always wanted to do it, but haven't gotten around to taking the time for it. This was a perfect opportunity to do so. Here is the original piece:

it was nothing too special. I found the scenery to be a bit dull with few trees, so I wanted to make it more fun. I bought a set of oil paints and brushes and got to work. What was fun was the small selection of color i had. I had a tube of black, white, red, yellow, blue, and brown... but i got to play with color theory to make new hues for my art. I felt creativity in trying to make something new out of something old.  My first addition was a wizard on the mountain which actually blended in well. It was a subtle add. Then i put lava below the wizard to make it pop out more. One tree was decorated with blue and purple ornaments, a space shuttle was added, sharks in bloody water appeared, wilson (from castaway) floated onto my canvas and I finished with a yellow submarine. It was fun playing with different size brushes and seeing how each size and stroke made a difference. The only downside was the fact that oil paint takes time to dry, so adding bigger details might have to wait for another day.


here are some colors i was able to create using the primary colors.

4 comments:

  1. This is interesting, I have never though about this! Adapting others art opens up new creative doors to something that seems to have fun it's course. Nice Work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After seeing your painting in class, I was a bit confused. This blog post does clear things up. I love that you added your own elements to this painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw this is class I definitely thought you painted the whole thing haha I love that you altered it instead. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a very creative approach to the assignment. I think you nailed the point of the assignment, to go beyond the norm and get out of a rut.

    ReplyDelete