Posts

Monday, January 28, 2013

Rut Exercise #3 "Las Acacias Poster"

I enjoyed this film immensely! I thought that it did a great job at pulling at our heart strings with their "smaller than life" characters. They weren't super special, more like normal people with normal problems and the fact that we could relate and be emotionally involved in this small story was a huge feat. I also liked that it was in spanish (because I could understand it) and see the Argentine and Paraguayan culture in the film as well.

After seeing the film I went on to read more about it. When tasked with the assignment of doing a poster I noticed that the one the company had made included the "orange colored silhouette" design. I thought it looked great, but at the same time wanted to stay far away from that art style.

I thought about the film more and really loved that they used the "mate" drink (In Argentina that is a very common drink that the people love). They showed Ruben and Jacinta drinking it several times and I wanted to incorporate it somehow. I thought that the symbolism behind it could be that of, "friendship, getting to know one another, and trust." These were themes that I thought this film was about, getting past personal hesitancies and opening up to someone. I also wanted to add red and blue into the mix (omit the "truck-colored orange theme") and put in the Paraguay and Argentina flag (the relationship with our two characters I think are also symbolized by the two countries). What I got was something different.


Also in my mind, they DEFINITELY get married and have probably 8 more kids because Ruben secretly loves them :) 


6 comments:

  1. That was a good idea to put emphasis on an item from the film. The image of sharing "mate" has a lot of symbolism behind it like you were explaining. I really like the image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the cup was a great symbol to pick cause it really did show him finally reaching out to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Using the Chimarrao! I love it! It is for sure a good symbol because people share that as a huge friendship gesture so when he gave that to her in the film that was the biggest indicator to me he was starting to like her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the heck is Chimarrao!?.... oh yea.... Portuguese shtuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cup is a great symbol... it really was the first time he really branched out and started talking to her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poster has two really great ideas. The "mate" really communicates the socializing idea, and the two flags at the bottom portray the idea of individuality. Brilliantly executed! Your poster is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete