Posts

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Rut 3 Las Acacias - Ashley Boehme


     I love how "Las Acacias" never catered to its audience.  The director picked a story and told it.  He only included the details that were needed, and because of this, there was always something to wonder about.  There is so much silence in this film, you're riveted to the characters, trying to guess what they're thinking about.  Very little happens, so you pay special attention to little details.  The movie ends with you feeling like there's still stuff you don't know.  That's pretty interesting.

The subtle changes in Ruben and Jacinta's relationship are also fascinating.  For instance, he becomes a lot more accommodating as the trip advances.  Instead of just leaning over the truck seat to open the door for Jacinta, Ruben eventually starts holding the baby for her as she gets in.

There's a lot you can say about the film, but I'll just end by saying that I felt convinced that this could happen in real life.  I really respected the actors for their performances.  This has got to be one of the most tedious, awkward films to act in, and yet I felt totally absorbed by the reality of this story.

"Las Acacias" was a boring way to spend an hour and a half, but I really treasure the experience, despite its weirdness 

3 comments:

  1. I agree he does become more subtle as the movie goes forward. IT was a boring way to spend an hour and half....but luckily my boyfriend and i made it fun!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that your poster shows that it was a journey. The director definitely told his story. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I like the long and winding road idea.

    ReplyDelete