Posts

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Rut exercise 1 - Brittany Funk


I think of something creative as being unique or different from everything else. When I go to exhibits I am usually really impressed by the aesthetics of the pieces, but I think the creativity is what makes us do that double take and keeps us interested. There were many things in this exhibit that stood out to me as being particularly creative. I loved all of the pieces that used media that were unexpected. For example I thought the piece that used the clippings from the comic strips was awesome. I love how you can take something really simple and common and change it into something more. There were a couple pieces that used U.S. currency to depict war vehicles. Those were cool because the medium was unique and it also helped to emphasize the message that the artist was trying to convey. I would have never thought to use money that way, I thought it was very impressive. 
 I think that the artists were able to come up with these creative ideas by pushing themselves to think outside of the box. I am sure they spent quite a bit of time thinking about different possibilities for their pieces and planning them out. Like Professor Cutri said in class, personal life experiences can contribute a lot to the creativity of each artist. For example, there was a piece that combined Japanese art/graffiti and images from the NFL team, the New Orleans Saints. The artist is a Japanese American and was able to use images from his culture to make a really interesting piece. I found this particularly interesting since I am half Korean and lived in Asia for the first half of my life; I know what is it like growing up around multiple cultures.

5 comments:

  1. I also really liked the pieces that used different mediums to create art (especially the comic-book clippings). I don't think those pieces would have been nearly as effective if they had used more traditional mediums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, unusual mediums always have the potential to be interesting. I once saw a dress in an exhibit made out of plastic bags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved those war machines made out of currency! I thought it was so neat and made me look twice because at first I did not realize it was currency. I thought it for sure portrayed the idea of how much money we put into war.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i also really liked the humvee and jet made out of money. it think its a really creative way to comment on the money being spent on military in the U.S. these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. I thought it was really cool to see all of the different spins that they put on each of the pieces and really made you think in a different way!

    ReplyDelete