Posts

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Rut #2- Brittan Weber

When I was little, I loved singing. I thought I was a rockstar. Then as I grew older, I became more timid starting to care about what people thought of me. In addition, I realized I might not have as good of a voice as I had previously thought. Letting that get to my head, I decided I hated singing because I was no good and could not possibly carry a tune. After repeating to myself over and over that I am a bad singer, I became one. I refused to sing unless alone.

Singing in front of people is/was the scariest thing to me. Karaoke became my greatest enemy. A couple of times I went with groups of friends to karaoke where they ALL got up and sang except for me. I seemed like the loser who was too self-conscious to lighten up and have any fun. I hated it! Karaoke was to be avoided at all costs.

So that is what I had to do, 2013 time to conquer fear, prove that I can sing and have fun! I went to Calle's Cafe on Friday karaoke night. (It's a little diner where there would not be too many people there to hear my singing debut.) At first I was still a bit nervous but, the carefree atmosphere of the diner and the interesting regular karaoke attendees made my experience the best.

Turns out karaoke is my thing. I will be at Callie's Cafe most friday nights from now on if anyone would like to join me!

It was reiterated to me to not hold back because we fear something or to not do something because we keep making up excuses. Do it all! Life will be so much more enjoyable and funny.



7 comments:

  1. Ooo, that's something that'd I'd like to do someday as well. I grew up very similarly, but sad to say, that pressure and self-consciousness got to me as well. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! Singing in front of people is also a huge fear for me so I totally get where you are coming from. I also love that you sang an Enrique Iglesias song...priceless! Maybe I will join you next weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you went to a somewhat sketchy place, but I had no idea it was Callie's Diner. That is hilarious. Hats off. I'm totally down to go if we make this a semi-class activity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so awesome! Next time ask for some tips! Drunk people give out $20's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man I want to people watch at one of these karaokes cause the old timers must be so into it. I agree with Austen I would totally go with the class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rad. Ive been looking for a place to karaoke. Where did you go?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm working myself up to doing that someday!

    ReplyDelete