Posts

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Rut #2 - Brittany Funk


Okay, so when this assignment was given I wanted to do something epic like skydive in Hawaii, but alas, I did not make it to Hawaii this weekend...

Instead I lost my virginity.

My hair virginity, that is (no need to contact the Honor Code office)

This may sound dumb, maybe even a bit ridiculous, but I have this weird attachment to my hair. I hate getting it cut. And I have never once changed the color. I guess it’s the closest thing I have to a “security blanket.” So this was the perfect opportunity to get over my fear of change…YOLO right??

I dragged a couple friends to Smith’s and bought the dye. After some (too much) discussion, I decided to go with the least dramatic color, darker brown. I know, I am a real daredevil. I initially wanted to do purple but decided my boss would not be too fond of that.

I was really surprised how nervous I was before we got started. It’s only hair, no big deal right? But after the dye was on, I wasn’t too worried about it.  And even though I am not crazy about how it turned out, I can definitely deal. The change is minimal, if anything I just look more Asian haha.

I feel like doing things like this, letting go, really enrich my life. I have found that I always feel a unique sense of joy after I do the things that require me to stretch outside my comfort zone. While this is nothing huge, I think it was a cool change. Who would want a life where everything is “comfortable?” Can you say boring?

4 comments:

  1. Way to go! I love coloring my hair! I hadn't for a long time, I think my first time was my freshmen year of college, but once I did I never went back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool. Changing hairstyles is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok boys don't get this, but I totally agree that's it's petrifying to change your hair. I think that takes courage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. im a boy and i know how you feel, well ive never dyed my hair but cutting my hair has always been a struggle for me. obviously that doesnt work too well with BYU so ive been forced to overcome my attachment many times

    ReplyDelete