Posts

Friday, January 11, 2013

Rut #2 - Climbing -- Jacqueline Usterud

Considering the fact that I have a fear of heights, and that only being strapped to a rope far up in the air, Rock/Wall climbing has never been something I have contemplated doing. Needless to say, this is what I decided to do -- trump my fear and practice trust in order to do Rut #2 ("do something you have never done before"). I therefore signed my life away on a release form, knowing there was a possibility of something going very wrong.

At the climbing center my husband and I got a quick run-through in how to "belay" and tie a sturdy figure 8 knot to secure your harness. Slightly scared but encourage that I was doing the right thing, the trainer let us off into the wilderness of people, ropes, walls and nubbs. I was pumped. Never in my life did I picture myself climbing up a wall. Especially considering that  I get scared on top of the not-so-tall Ferris wheel at Scheels in Draper.

I quickly figured out that it was a sheer matter of trust in the person who I was connected to at the bottom. Once I reached the top (and yes, I actually managed to reach the top multiple times -- even with an angle) I kept wanting to hold on to something while being hoisted down, and had to tell myself to let go. After a couple of tries I knew that all I had to do was to trust my husband at the bottom with the little metal-piece that would break my fall, and not look down.

My arms and my hands hurt, but I am still pumped adrenaline!

I have learned that trying something out that scares me and that will make me put more trust in other in regards to my safety, is good for me. I also learned that I am not as scared of heights as I have always been, but felt that I was in control somewhat. I am seriously doing this again.

  

3 comments:

  1. Rock Climbing is the most amazing thing ever!!!!!! :) Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I went for the first time, my wrists and hands ached for a week! It makes me feel so much more confident to overcome fears or to do something I have been avoiding doing because of fear. Good job doing something you were scared of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Climbing is a touch sport, I remember going for the first time when I was 10 and felt like a complete doofus.

    ReplyDelete