Posts

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Rut #2- Kim Pratt

For my assignment I had a hard time thinking of something that I've wanted to do but haven't. The first thing that came to mind was skydiving in Hawaii but I couldn't pull enough strings to make that happen so I had to come up with the next best option which ended up being sewing. Now let's be clear on this, I didn't choose sewing, sewing chose me. I came home from work on Saturday night to my husband and his brother dressed up like cavemen. (I was just as confused too...) Anyways, they immediately appointed me "because I was the girl" to be the seamstress of a caveman robe/toga/dress. I've done a little bit of sewing in my lifetime but it's been a really, REALLY long time. So I took out a needle and thread, skinned several DI teddy bears, and set to work on my masterpiece. I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did, but it turned out to be something I really liked doing. I've always loved fashion and especially project runway, so I felt like this task was something that determined my design skills. And, in the end, I feel like it turned out pretty sweet! Sewing to me always seemed like some sort of daunting task (don't get me wrong, I'm sure some projects are), but I gained a little bit of homemaker confidence this weekend with my little project. I'm excited in the future for more projects to practice sewing once again, maybe something less random next time. Oh, and in the end they finally told me why they needed to look like cavemen...they are filming my husband's 60 second video to apply for the advertising program.
he would be mortified if he knew I posted this, but here's a photo of my toga masterpiece!

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I know what you mean by a boost of homemaker's confidence. I know a lot of projects are probably really difficult, but I'm glad there's enough simple ones out there that I don't feel too intimidate.

    ReplyDelete