Posts

Monday, October 10, 2011

Rut — James Taylor

So I got so excited to record my song and post it on here, but I don't know how to do an audio only file. Can you? Anyway, I'll throw my lyrics on here like everyone else. I wrote a love song for my wife (it has an upbeat flavor to it if you can imagine that).

verse 1:
When I first saw you at church, I felt a special sensation.
But when I tried to meet you, your roommate stole the conversation.
A few months later, to my great delight
we drew with sidewalk chalk and gazed into each other's eyes.

And back then I thought I was destined for unhappiness.
Then I look at you, I know it's true,
you make my life the best.

<Chorus>
though you don't have glass slippers or a poofy dress,
no crystal tiara, but you're my princess
and I love you infinity.

Well we'd come a long way since that first date
to when I was on one knee asking you to stay.
It took just a moment for tears to fill your eyes.
Luckily I found out when you're really happy you cry.

And I only hoped that you would answer yes.
Then you did, I'm one happy kid,
you make my life the best!

<chorus x 2> (second time slows down to the end).


So as far as the questions go, from this exercise I learned that it's a lot easier for me to write songs then come up with ads. I started playing the guitar when I was a teenager and have been writing my own songs ever since. So, I think with creativity, it seems that practice makes perfect (or at least easier). Kind of like how Chris can whip up cool ad ideas in now time. I think as we get in the habit of doing it, it will become easier.

For my creative muscles, I had to came up with a chorus and chords for that first. Then I thought what story I wanted my song to tell. Then I came up with chords and then the rest of the lyrics/melody. I think the muscles used here are similar to what we use in advertising as far as communicating. However, I think the fact that I wanted to rhyme for my song used a muscle that had been developed. It was a fun exercise!

5 comments:

  1. I really liked your song ... it was interesting to read about you and your wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you were able to do all of those rhyme's, brought the song to life. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, i am happy to hear that, with practice, things get easier. Hopefully that will happen with both my ad making and song writing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to write music but never seem to be able to pull it off. Its cool to hear you describe the process. Maybe my problem is that I seldom come up with the music first. Its hard to write lyrics without music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, it's official. I need to get a wife. It's the critical missing puzzle piece to creativity! Everyone who wrote a song and was married nailed it. I loved your song. It was tender ;)

    ReplyDelete