Posts

Monday, October 31, 2011

Rut #7 - The Bus

So the reason I'm posting this late is because the bus that was supposed to take me back to campus never showed up. I walked back from Center street. So despite this exercise failing to cure me of my dislike of the public transportation system in Utah, it was a good thing to get me out of my rut.

I've taken the bus many times before to Salt Lake and back so this was not a new experience for me. I wanted to go someplace new though so I decided to take the bus westward towards the lake. The bus was empty most of the way, but I got to talk to the driver for a bit and get a good look at an area of Utah Valley I hadn't seen before. There are some beautiful little parks on the west side of Provo by the way. I was surprised that on this route the bus didn't stick to main roads, we wound through some quiet residential neighborhoods.

The bus driver was a little confused why I didn't get off at the last stop. I told him I was riding the bus for the sake of riding the bus. I needed to do something different and get out of my rut. He nodded his head like he understood where I was coming from, but gave me a look like I was completely nuts at the same time.

One of the stops on the way back was at an elderly persons home and a bunch of old people got on. That was a lot of fun, I got to talk to a guy who was catching a ride to downtown Provo to sell music. There was also a very funny guy in a wheelchair who was good friends with the bus driver.

So it was a fun little adventure for sure. I'm not a big fan of public transportation when I'm trying to go somewhere, but its not half bad if you're just looking for an adventure.

5 comments:

  1. David, you are crazy! Even I had the sanity to ride the bus to a destination :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be rather different not having a particular destination in mind, but I love spontaneous adventures like this and it sounded like a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to hear more about the beautiful parks on the west side of the freeway. I didn't think anything was beautiful over there. Provo lake doesn't even cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I agree with Harper - I could always use a new park to visit. I love that you just rode around forever. I'm going to have to take a leaf from your book and try it.

    ReplyDelete