Posts

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Rut 5 Evan Coles

I was stoked on this assignment because I've been wanting to write some raps for some time now but have not really found the time to put the time forth. What I really learned from this exercise is that sometimes the creativity cannot be forced. I tried to lay down a rap yesterday but my mind and heart were not having it and I ended up going to see a movie instead. However, tonight i got home from work around midnight and things just started rolling. It feels good and invigorates the soul. Song writing is a great activity cause it cause the mind to express itself in different ways at it tries to stay within the bounds set in the song such as keeping to the beat and having to rhyme. This causes you to phrase things differently and use some word play. In essence by putting you in a box it forces you to think outside of it.
I was able to lay down a recoding yet because I wasn't able to get with my buddy ol pal to lay me down all the beat. That bums me out because you can write out the flow of the rap. But take it in. Maybe ill post it recorded another day.

Let me tell you how I live my being
There's a lot more to me than you're actually seeing
Picture an onion with layers and the more that you peal
It's the scriptures while you're praying, it's the more I reveal
Shine light on the subject and you see what's ideal
Cause you like the man on the surface that bangs and deals

But what about where my moral compass is pointing
Maybe my north aint with the crack whores that are snorting
While I'm chillin late at night out on the basketball court
Slangin everything I got to pay that child support
Like dang where is my life and how'd I get in this spot
Now my only piece of mind is the things that I jot
Have you ever thought, there should be something better
Like you ate too much salt now you need something wetter

Like Holy water
Cross in front of my face forgive me Holy Father
But these sins I cannot erase, in my life they've been traced
Like a dot to dot with no numbers I can't keep up the pace
Hussein Bolt gone in 9 seconds now my life is a daze

Phased, has it blowin your mind?
Like is this the same guy in class who we sit and pass the time?
Now he's up here on the blog postin bogus lines
Like he's selling cocaine to some hyped up dimes

Now I bet you wish you never removed a layer
Sittin back in your seat offering a silent prayer
Like please help this dude to get his life back on track
That he'd have the eternal perspective to look pass these stacks
So he'll turn to God to give him all that he lacks
Cause when he looks into the mirror all he sees are cracks

BLAST!
9mm gone and shot up the glass
Cause I aint got time to sit and review the past
The moment is now can't get it back from the grave
So instead I stay awake and to life I'm a slave





6 comments:

  1. I would enjoy hearing this recorded. You are good at writing raps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the contrasts in this....a crappy life of drugs vs. turning to God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can practically hear the rap in my head without the recording. This is some deep stuff, man. I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Start rapping! This song is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it. Also, kind of refreshing that it's not about love.

    ReplyDelete