Posts

Monday, January 13, 2014

Landscapes of Belief - Greg Taylor

I too had quite the time finding this room full of creativity hidden in the deep corner of the Art Museum. It is left down in the basement for the truly curious who wander their way to the corners of the large museum.

What really amazed me like many was the several creative mediums used to display the creativity. It was the perfect blend of hardware, software, typeface, light, dark, motion, and scenery. This is where I would like to see creativity go. It’s one thing to paint a beautiful picture on a canvas, but making the canvas a part of the discovery is powerful.


I think the artist is a lot like me. I didn’t quickly find bursting talent when I put pen or brush to paper, but when I discovered powerful tools like Photoshop and illustrator I discovered a whole new world of things I could create. The artist  used very unique programs and a set of skills he must have developed at some point in his life.

8 comments:

  1. I love how you described the piece as, "the perfect blend of hardware, software, typeface, light, dark, motion, and scenery." I totally agree with you! The collection of mediums she used in these pieces definitely made them creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a hard time finding it too, but I didn't have the presence of mind to actually think that even the positioning of the art piece could have been part of the piece itself. You're right, creativity is something that has to be discovered. Part of what makes art is what the viewer brings to the table, so whether by design or not, that discovery process to find the piece is part of the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Greg and Lucy- the medium is what makes the piece unique. If the artist would have chosen a different medium, for example hand written the words onto a canvas, then the piece would have had a completely different feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Greg! What's up. I thought very similarly about how Bravo used different forms of technology and mediums to express her idea. I think it would be awesome to create something in our heads that maybe we don't even actually have the skills or experience to build. If that makes sense. But I also like that you connected with the piece by your love for digital design. Good comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought what you said about "making the canvas a part of discovery" really captured the essence of this piece. Your analysis was awesome, but I think you should know that Monika Bravo is a girl haha, just giving you a hard time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that the most creative part of the piece wasn't the "picture" per-say but the way it was presented. The medium became the art in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's interesting you mentioned the placement of the piece in the museum. The directors of the museum, I believe, think long and hard about the placement of each piece. I believe it is no coincidence that Monika Bravo's piece was placed deep down in the corner of the museum. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also had a hard time finding the piece. When I did find it, after a lot of help, it was like finding a hidden gem in the dark corner of the museum. I think the placement of the piece in the museum helped add to the invisibility concept and that we have to search hard to find new meanings. They won't always be obvious.

    ReplyDelete