Posts

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Katie Hopkins: Landscapes of Belief

Reading the artists bio I discovered Monika Bravo had been to each of the places that were shown in the piece.  I think she came up with the idea for this piece though the experiences of her travels along with reading the book Invisible Cities. 
To me the most creative part of the piece was the way the artist displayed the thoughts she was trying to communicate.  Walking into the museum I was expecting to go look at some painting in a room that had some pretty landscapes in it.  Never did it dawn on me that Monika Bravo was more than your run of the mill classical painter until I walked into the room. 
While looking at the piece I interpreted it as trying to communicate two things. Walking into the room the first thing that stood out to me was the light cast on the black walls of the room from the piece.  The piece was radiating light like how we as individuals have the ability to lighten the world we live in.  I loved the quote from Gandhi that’s on the piece description that reads, “Your beliefs become your thoughts, your thoughts become your words, your words become your actions, your actions become your habits, your habits become your values, your values become your destiny.” What is inside of us; our thoughts, feelings, beliefs create not only who we are as people but the way we perceive the world around us.

Secondly I noticed how the work of art was in constant motion.  At first this remind me of how cities are continually changing.  But after I sat there for a bit the motion of the cities became how our person faith is constantly moving.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree in that the way and medium Monika chose to portray what she wanted was one of the ways that made this exhibit so creative. Like you said, these pieces were not "run of the mill". She could have chosen to depict her thoughts and feelings through a more traditional drawing or painting, but she didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the thought that her work was in constant motion and how that relates not only to the piece but to us, and how our faith and thoughts and person are constantly changing, moving, and evolving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last sentence is interesting. I guess that's true that even though we have strong faith, beliefs, etc., they are constantly fluctuating; increasing or diminishing just like the fluctuating words that made up the cities.

    ReplyDelete