Posts

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Kon Tiki - Allie Sullivan



What was your experience like watching a foreign film?

I took the intro to film class here at BYU so I'm no stranger to foreign films. This film actually felt less strange or different to me than some of the other foreign films I've seen. I would say some foreign films move slow and are more thoughtful than American films but this film managed to be deep and meaningful while also providing action, suspense and adventure like we Americans are accustomed to.

What were some interesting aspects of the film that were different than the typical American movies you watch?

I don't watch horror films so the brief amount of gore in the film was an interesting and different experience for me.

One of the themes of the film seemed to be about chasing after and achieving a dream. In the process of achieving his dream of proving his theory correct, Thor lost his family. I think this notion of losing while winning isn't something we see a whole lot in American entertainment. Usually, the protagonist achieves success in everything in the end.

My Poster
Like I said, I thought one of the main themes was about chasing after a dream and I felt that the sun symbolized that theme because they needed to be headed toward the sun in order to be heading in the right direction. So, I decided to have the sun be the main focus of my poster.

5 comments:

  1. nice! I like that you chose to put that "ocean is not a barrier" part on there. That was an integral part of the film. Not to mention the sun with the raft in it, that looks dope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job presenting several important movie themes in your poster, both in copy and visuals. The composition holds together very well, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your poster is very well made. I love how you put the boat in the sun which could have looked very cheesy but you pulled it off well. Also, I like how you choose to go with a cleaner font.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you got the meaning across in your poster while simultaneously having your chosen elements work together to form a piece. That made it very effective and successful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The ocean is not a barrier, but pathways," I loved that quote. There's something poetic. I was also surprised by how engaging this film was, despite being a foreign film.

    ReplyDelete