Posts

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Kon Tiki- Tom Blackham


I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. The story was incredibly rich and enjoyable. After watching it, I thought on it the rest of the evening. Going into the film, I didn't quite know what to expect. When I heard it was a Norwegian film the last thing I thought was that it would be a story in the South Pacific.

The cinematography was beautifully done and realistic. Some of the scenes reminded me a lot of Life of Pi, but despite the awe inspiring effects, I never felt like they distracted from the story of Thor's journey into the sun to prove the world wrong.

This film  was very powerful, and it convinced me of two things: 1)That you can't let the world tell you what isn't possible and 2) I will never sail across the pacific. The shark scenes were enough to induce a hydrophobia that I wasn't aware that I had.

It was quite different in many aspects to what a traditional American film would be like. I think the ending was very markedly different from what Hollywood traditionally markets to its viewers. I think that if it had been an American-produced film, the film would not have ended in the way that this one did. Perhaps they would have not put as much focus on wife's relationship, or--even worse-- they may have been completely unfaithful to the source material (i.e. a TRUE story), in order to ensure a satisfyingly "happy" ending.

2 comments:

  1. I was having a hard time thinking of ways this was different than an American film, you brought up good points! I totally agree with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poster looks an awful lot like the poster I originally intended to make, so I'm thinking we got pretty similar messages out of the movie.

    ReplyDelete