Posts

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Stick-Shift Road Rage

So I am a pretty good driver and when it comes to driving I have never had a fear of driving, even in crazy places like Chicago or up the mountains anywhere in the Mountain West. But the one thing that I have wanted to learn how to do in regards to driving is driving stick-shift. Yep I didn't know how and it isn't necessarily something I am afraid of doing but having your car stall in the middle of the street with a bunch of people behind you is not a good feeling at all. So since my girlfriend already knows how to (which was awesome) and her roommate had a stick car, I asked her to teach me.

The experience was a good one and I ended up learning a lot about myself when trying something new. I ended up learning how to drive manual after all but it was not easy. I only had about an hour with the car but in the hour that I had I learned that when I am trying something new sometimes if it is something that is somewhat difficult I can take the fun out of it by being frustrated. Then when I become frustrated I get too serious and then when I get to serious the learning experience becomes harder and I almost want to give up. Learning that about myself was the most valuable lesson I got out of this experience (besides learning how to drive stick) because now I know that whenever I try something new I need to remember to just enjoy the experience and even when things start to get hard I just have to keep going and going and try my best no matter what.


1 comment:

  1. I also experience frustration when I feel things are too hard. I liked your point about how when we become frustrated the learning experience becomes harder. I need to remember that a lot in the future.

    ReplyDelete