Posts

Monday, February 17, 2014

The World is Changing Art. Kirsten Hansen

The idea behind my project was just to use something in my house and make something cool with it. I was thinking first I wanted to go super abstract and splatter paint an old hair dryer of mine, but then I found this fantastic little fork in the back of the silverware drawer. No idea how long it had been there, but I decided I wanted to paint it because why not paint a fork, right?
So I grabbed some paint from my drawer and found myself painting the fork colors that matched the decorations in my house. Guess I like what I like? Anyways, I decided to go solid black with a party prong. Had a used a canvas for this project I would have probably painted the whole thing solid black with a turquoise stripe down the third line. I just wanted to use a fork as my medium instead. I am so happy with how it turned out. I actually have plans to mount it in an empty shadow box we have in our kitchen to make some interesting conversation piece in the kitchen. 
I felt really great painting. I wasn't painting an interesting subject, but I was painting an interesting object and I really enjoyed being out of the norm of painting on a canvas. I mean I did just randomly find myself drawn to going simple with painting when I could have made a very intricate design or some sort of landscape, but I love simplicity and black. 
So there it is. 
Kirsten paints forks black. If you find yourself missing one, sorry, I'm kind of hooked now.

4 comments:

  1. I think my favorite part was when you called it a 'party prong'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of this fork. It's interesting how we can look at a fork in such a different way when it's no longer silver...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The party prong brings a whole new meaning to this utensil! Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fork itself is intriguing, but the background it's on in the picture really complements it. I'm not sure why I like it, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete