Posts

Monday, February 17, 2014

Industrial Watercolor - Lance McDowell


I had fun painting but I'm a really detailed person. Watercolors don't allow for tons of detail, especially the 98 cent ones at Walmart. I kept wanting to use a pen to define my lines better. What I painted didn't always look like what I wanted it to look like.

I don't think I have the patience for painting. I didn't want to wait for the paint to dry. I didn't want to change out the water when it got dirty. My colors would run together. I kept thinking, "Great, my painting is ugly." But I was actually decently pleased with the way it turned out. It's different than what you normally see.

I feel like people who use watercolors always paint flowers and scenery. I wanted to take watercolor a different direction. The opposite of flowers in my mind was smokestacks, machinery, robots, etc. So I painted a clash between the two. What do you get? Flowers shooting lasers and smokestacks with petals. I had the idea and then I just painted until I was done.

3 comments:

  1. This is pretty fun. Water colors are daring and also really hard. I like the contrasting ideas within this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like watercolors are much more gestural type of painting. I used watercolors as well, and all my objects seemed to meld together, yours is actually quite good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Watercolors are so therapeutic for me so I bet this was very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete