Posts

Monday, February 17, 2014

Angry Mickey - Greg Taylor


This project didn't involve a lot of preparation or premeditation. The house I live in has a desk, behind which we like to fill with art. Occasionally we hold an art night and add to the wall. As you can see it is getting quite full so I chose a small canvas that can fill one of the final empty spots on our wall. The subject matter came after I started painting my first coat of blue. I thought about cool things I had seen recently and a floral disney shirt came to mind. Mickey became my subject matter and It developed from there. I felt throughout the project like I was discovering my own piece. I looked at a picture of Mickey and started painting it. It was when someone bumped the table Mickey's regular jolly smile turned into a more serious one. The smug face and clenching fists evolved from there. At no point did I have a real good idea what the final product would be up until I put the brush down and was finished. 

4 comments:

  1. This feels like a really modern twist on a classic figure. I like it, it has a sense of something Will Gay would do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen an angry Mickey. I like this a lot. Great job in taking a cute iconic character and putting a twist on him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like if an art critic were to see this painting they would try and find a lot of symbolism within it....symbolism that you don't even know is there...
    It's just an image that we're not used to seeing :) I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your idea of "art night" and decorating your desk space... I want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete