Posts

Monday, February 3, 2014

El Mexsal- Aaron Johnson

Here is a picture of my Saturday lunch from El Mexsal in Provo. I picked it because it offered Salvadorian food, which I hadn't sampled before. The menu was in Spanish, so that helped me to pick something ignorant of what I would actually end up with. So, taking the most difficult menu item to pronounce, I wound up with a steak topped with onions and some tomato sauce, plus a side of fried plantains. Would I order that steak again?
No.
Would I order those fried plantains again and again and again?
Yes. Most definitely.

From this experience I learned about trying new combinations for food. You can't see it very well, but the plantain came with sides of re-fried beans and sour cream, which seemed odd and kind of gross, but actually tasted very good. I also learned I don't like tomato paste on my steak. This seems to say that maybe I've grown up with a very limited view on what I want and expect from my steak, and that generally means I want steak I can smother in A1. If I have changed at all, it was to find the courage to, next time, ask the waitress what a menu item is before I order it.

7 comments:

  1. Please tell me you squirted the lime all over your food. Gives it a unique flavor. Tastes so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plantains are like bananas, right? That sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never even heard of plantains before... What ever they are they sound very interesting. You are brave to order something off a menu that you don't understand. That simply terrifies me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you ordered something you had no idea what it would be, good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salvadorian food, huh? Very nice. I'll have to check it out, that sounds dang good. I love how you ordered something without even understanding the language. That would be really hard for me to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is really interesting how you said, "From this experience I learned about trying new combinations for food". It is so true! Sometimes the actual combination of food is what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think sometimes it can be super nerve-racking/exciting once we've ordered something in a different language. I always wonder if i've just wasted my money or whether it'll be the best experience ever.

    ReplyDelete