Posts

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Bruce Lee With a Handgun- Aaron Johnson

My roommate's making sushi
and it smells like poo,
I wish that he would learn how
to make something new.
I guess that I could make him
if I learn kung fu?
It sounds all right on paper,
but how will it do?

CHORUS
The only way to find out
is to go and do.
That's why I am learning
Shao Lin Monk Kung Fu

You have never gone to war
with a big T-Rex,
but how can you be positive
that you won't be next?
What if you could frighten it
with only a flex?
To make sure I can win, I'll
learn Ninjitsu next.

CHORUS

BRIDGE
Hello Problem! Meet my fist!
Do you think you frighten me?
You don't even make to list!

Life is full of challenges
that you have to face.
You will face them one by one
all throughout your race.
Taekwondo and Karate
can help you in space,
but for the other problems
pack a gun in case.

CHORUS

END

I learned, today, that writing a song isn't as easy and crying on a dictionary. It took a lot of effort, first and foremost to find some inspiration. I tried to think of all sorts of feelings, but none of them came out musical. So instead I just tried to write what was going on around me into verse, and that was a little easier. My main inspiration for this song was my roommate's smelly sushi, followed closely by Shaolin Soccer on Netflix.

My most taxed creative muscles were my lyrical forming ones. I decided I wanted my song to rhyme, and I wanted the melodies consistent, so I stretched to find rhymes and find how to use them sensibly in meter. It wasn't as easy as it looks, I promise. I'm still working on a melody line, but once I find it the song will fit because of my effort.

2 comments:

  1. haha this is great. I wish I could hear what it sounds like with a beat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rhymes are pretty funny... maybe it's just the fact that you said sushi smells like poo, it made the inner 5 year old in me giggle and say "He sang poo." Now to actually hear you sing it one be epic.

    ReplyDelete