Posts

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Buckeyes- Tom Blackham

 I think that these rut assignments are working as a benefit for me. They turn into great date ideas!

My girlfriend is from Columbus, Ohio--Home of the Ohio State Buckeyes. Of course, it's come up in conversation that buckeyes are type of nut that supposedly resemble a buck's eye. The nuts, however are not exactly edible, seeing as they're poisonous...

So that was not what I ate, for obvious reasons. However, when I mentioned the assignment to eat something I've never had before, Roma said, "Have you had buckeyes?"

It was with understandable consternation that I asked in response, "Aren't they poisonous?"

She merely laughed and told me it was a dessert made of peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate, which when solidified is meant to resemble the nut.

Anyway, for our date night we actually made the buckeyes, which turned out to be easier than I thought, much simpler.

They taste, understandably, like Reese's, since they are made with the same materials. Except these were homemade so I personally thought they tasted better.

So that's how I broke out of my rut this weekend. I learned that it was much more fun to actually make something I haven't eaten before, than to simply go out and eat something new. Even though the recipe was simple I had a greater appreciation for each of the ingredients' contribution to the end result.

This probably says a lot about how I like to involve myself in the process of creating things, not to look on as a mere observer.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds very yummy! Also, it was interesting to read about buckeyes.

    ReplyDelete