Posts

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Stomp The Yard - Greg Taylor

Have you seen the movie stomp the yard?! It is a movie about a troubled gangster who in an effort to woo a special girl takes his fraternity to a highly coveted national step show competition. It is such a rush to see these dancers all in unison stomp their feet and clap their hands. They make beats that feed and energize each other as well as the audience. As a youngster this kind of dance intrigued me. It has always been a dream of mine to be in a crowded place...where people are going about their daily business...when myself and a group of friends break out in a step routine! The element of suprise, the camaraderie, and the music made with our bodies is the perfect blend that would bring such a rush.

This week I talked to a friend on the UVU Hip Hop team about a stepping piece she was doing with the team. I have dabbled before with some hip hop in my life, and talked her into letting me come to learn the routine. So I met up with about 12 other students and learned about one minutes worth of stomping. It was a whole lot of fun and quite the rush. We didn't get to go out to the streets to complete my dream yet but compiling the routine will take some time. That is in the plans!


6 comments:

  1. I remember that movie, and I absolutely remember how badly it made me want to become a HipHop dancer. Then "Never Back Down" came out and my passion changed to UFC fighting. It is crazy how much a movie can influence us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha dude if you want we can do it after class and I can teach you something real quick! Im serious about this!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Greg, you can I share the dream of becoming bad-A dance battle monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please. Please. Please. Film this when it happens and post it to the blog. I beg of you. Don't back down on this plan!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think everyone is expecting a follow through now. We want to hear about it. Once you learn the routine, maybe talk to Prof Cutri and you can teach us for our warm up fun in class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to follow through... I want you to post video of it on youtube or something. Then we can watch in class! That would be epic!!

    ReplyDelete