Posts

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Aaron Johnson- Something Out of Nothing

There were a lot of different aspects to "Landscapes of Belief" that I found creatively compelling. First, I enjoyed the non-traditional medium of light projection. Secondly, the concept of the images, or creating the skylines using words from the book, Invisible Cities, was intriguing. Lastly, the choice to cycle through different skylines all added to the atmosphere and message that I believe the work was trying to convey (and the plaque that went with it seemed to agree with my assessment, so I take comfort in that).

I have been pondering how I would have developed the same creative ideas originally. The way that seems most sensible to me would be to start with the concept/message you have to convey, and then building the art into it. The fact that Bravo is evidently familiar with "Invisible Cities", suggests that it was influential in the development of her message, so the first step in my hypothetical creative process would have involved reading that book.

From there I have formulated a concept in my mind that I want to explore with art. My concept I'm exploring is how we sort of create the world around us from our perceptions, but our perceptions are not real or tangible on their own. I would want my art to play on that, and I could reasonably think to use moving images, or constructing the work out words from a book.

The biggest leap or biggest insight in the creative process would have to be when I finally settled on the idea to project the images onto planes of glass. The "Aha!" thought would be something along the lines of, "Our perceptions will create something out of nothing, or turn the unknown into the familiar," and so my piece will be projecting nonsense, the words of none-too-popular book onto glass, so the viewer can experience their own ability to perceive something familiar out of nothing concrete.

So maybe my thinking is too linear here, but this is my best guess on how the author would have developed the art and the ideas that I found to be creative.

4 comments:

  1. I liked what you said here about portraying ideas that are intangible. That made the idea of using words for building blocks make more sense to me since I didn't particularly like that aspect of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked when you said, "Our perception will create something out of nothing" because I think that is exactly what the artist is forcing the viewer to think about. That our perception is the building blocks of our individual reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how your analysis of how she got the idea included what you would have done. That was real smooth. But I wonder if you would have thought of doing it this way, or if only her life experience was capable of creating this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your idea that Invisible Cities had influence on Bravo's art really resonates with me. I think that's super real. A lot of the ideas that I think we come up/don't come up with have to do with our exposure to creative examples, literature, our interests, etc. Good comment.

    ReplyDelete