Posts

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Landscapes of Belief: Kirsten

The exhibit Landscapes of Belief by Monica Bravo displayed exquisite creativity and innovation. The piece itself was rather simple, as it was a projector displaying images onto three glass panels. I think she came up with this idea from the text she complied together to form the images. The text came from "Invisible Cities" and she then used that text to form different cities from around the world. I think the silence and darkness of the room added to the feeling of forbiddenness and invisibility that she possibly was trying to achieve in her image. Her whole concept struck me as creative because of how she compiled everything together. The use of words, light, and silence made a unique art experience.

5 comments:

  1. I like how you counted the silence of the room part of the piece. I agree that the artist created not only a object but an experience though the atmosphere of the gentle hum of the projector and dark walls illuminated by the glow of the art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kirsten! What you mentioned was creative in the piece was interesting to me. I hadn't thought about the use of the lighting in the room or silence as a part of the piece but it did seem very fitting to her idea. The room was super calming, so I totally agree. Good comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had also considered the lighting as I walked in the room. I noticed that one side of the piece was more well lit than the other side of the piece. Perhaps like you said she was playing off of this "invisibility" concept.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never thought about the use of the lighting in the room. That's really interesting to note. The piece would have been so different if the room had been brightly lit. It would have been difficult to see the cities created in the light. That adds to the invisibility concept you brought up.

    ReplyDelete