Posts

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Kon-Tiki- Ariana Keith

I love a good foreign film. I started off watching the film and thought that I was going to love it. Somewhere in the middle I started hating the main character's stupidity so much that I thought I was going to come away from the movie hating it. I ended up enjoying the movie overall. I felt like it kept me engaged the entire time. I would say my favourite foreign films are French so I was a little iffy on this one. I felt this movie was built on tension and release. There were moments of tension where the entire audience was all bracing themselves for the worst and then we would all laugh afterwards at the funniest things said.
I don't see a ton of different aspects between American and this Norwegian film but I think one aspect would be that many American films end with the "American Dream." The film will end with, "Well, I've accomplished my dream, I've got the hot wife, I've got a family, and I'm going to be famous too!" This foreign film explored that even though Thor accomplished one of his dreams, he was not able to have it all. Another element would be sometimes American films like to take it to extremes. When Herman had his foot hanging over just as he was being pulled out of the shark filled waters, I feel like American films would have his foot chomped off. Surprisingly, Herman was not touched at all by the sharks.

3 comments:

  1. I really love the background picture of this. It's very compelling. I also like that you used Kon Tikis face as the compass in front. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way that the sun really dominates this image. I felt that the sun was motif brought up many times during the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've like yours a lot. The image is compelling. I do wonder about the proportions of the poster though.

    ReplyDelete