Posts

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Monika Bravo exhibit- Lucy Myers

From the moment I stepped into the gallery, I knew it was going to be a unique experience. To me, the most creative part of the exhibit was just how Monika chose to synthesize the information in front of her, including the book Invisible cities as as well as her previously acquired knowledge surrounding the depicted cities, and then create something with this information. She presented the cities in a way that I had never really seen before. Instead of painting or drawing on a canvas, she chose a medium that really worked for what she was trying to convey. In Monika's artist statement, it states that her composition is "time-based". By conveying her thoughts and feelings about time through a projection onto three glass panels, she achieved creativity.

I have found our recent discussion of using and combining old ideas in order to make unique and creative new ones very fascinating. I think Monika used a similar thought process in order to achieve what she wanted to achieve in the pieces in this exhibit. She used information that had already been gathered, like the book Invisible Cities, as a foundation and maybe even an inspiration. With this knowledge, I believe, she was then able to come up with the ideas for this exhibit.

7 comments:

  1. I like you comment on how the medium she chose really worked for the message she was creating, but it also made me wonder what came first, the medium of the message? Did she think of her idea, and then find a medium to hold it, or did she see light projected onto glass, and that helped her make the connections that created her idea for this piece?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaron, that is a cool question!! Going on that trail of thought, I wonder how she got the idea to put the 3 glass screens in a row. Do you think she learned about it in a class? Or maybe she had a job related to that sort of thing. Either way, thinking of how someone thought of things can get real thoughtful haha

      Delete
  2. I too have found our discussion of combining old ideas to form new ones very intriguing. The way the artist combined an idea with communication is what made this piece so special and new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lucy! It was super interesting that she created the piece out of familiar knowledge to her. Like you explained: her reference to the book Invisible cities and her experience with the architecture that was illustrated. I thought that was pretty creative too and makes me think about how relevant our own experiences can be in the creative process. Good comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you were able to apply the definition of an idea that we talked about in class to Bravo's work. Just as you said, she took old ideas and combined them in new ways. I can't say I really thought about the process in quite that way. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we already have this pre-existing toolbox that comes from reading books, experiences, and many other things that we can use to fuse together ideas. We just need to dig deep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also really liked the discussion of combining new and old ideas and knowledge. In order for creativity to be achieved, there has to be some spark that ignites the idea. As you said, Monika achieved this through using the new technology and old writings. It's very interesting.

    ReplyDelete