Posts

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

On thin ice. And then, in hot water.

All in the same day. For whatever reason, I get in driving ruts. I always go to Macey's when I need to go grocery shopping. When I need guitar stuff, I go down to Great Salt Lake Guitar Company on Center Street. When I want to take pictures of stuff, I head up to Rock Canyon or Provo Canyon. When I want to go on a hike, I climb Y Mount (the summit, not the letter, you sissy), Squaw Peak, or Timp. I'm a creature of habit, it must be known.

So finally, with the three day weekend approaching, I decided to cross off two points on my Utah bucket list - frozen Utah Lake and the Meadow Hot Springs. I'd seen pictures and videos (like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OudYFji4VOI&feature=c4-overview&list=UUdGxAju6sVCPCykiIKzwFZQ) of mountains of ice on Utah Lake and thought it might be fun to see if I'd be lucky enough to see the same sort of thing. I went with a roommate, and there were, unfortunately, no icebergs. Still, it was my very first time walking on lake ice like that, having been given an ingrown fear of such things by countless children's movies and TV shows. I think I may have made it about 100 yards out from shore before I heard enough cracking noises to feel uncomfortable. I laugh at danger. Then I run.


Next up was the hot springs. Contact me if you want directions, but maybe these are best served by keeping them just a little under the radar. They're a decent drive south on I-15, but they're crystal clear, 30 feet deep, warm, and just beautiful. They don't even smell like rotten eggs. My brother told me about them, and I'd always wanted to go, but I'd just never gotten around to it. It must have been the long drive or something. Should you go, do yourself a favor and beg, borrow, or steal a decent snorkeling mask so you can explore a little underwater. It's deep enough that you really can't see the bottom from the surface - it's a weird sort of leap of faith into the black if you dive down there before your eyes adjust and you can make out the boulders and things at the bottom. Worth it.



6 comments:

  1. Dude you be crazy. You could have fell into the lake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... That's pretty much what I was laughing about. We took that picture right about where the ice started making all sorts of ominous cracking and popping sounds. My sense of adventure only goes so far.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. After your story in class today, I am determined to go check those springs out. That is WILD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say your sense of adventure is pretty crazy enough to swim down 30 feet. I will try and keep your secret hot springs on the DL. I definitely want to try them out though. I might not ever see what is on the bottom though. We have some gutsy people in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got more guts than me. I've seen way too many movies where they fall through the ice. I used to live in Iowa and people would drive trucks out on the lake and ice fish. Trucks get lost every year.

    ReplyDelete